Is it possible to bridge the gap between the technical and the business teams?
How do you engage the technical side with the business side, getting them to champion themselves and think about the real purpose of their work?
And how do you spark a data-driven culture within the business teams?
In this episode, Michaela will share her insights on bringing all teams together to drive success and collaboration.
Meet Michaela Shea
Michaela’s Role as an Data Strategy Leader at Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
Michaela Shea is the Head of Data Strategy and Engagement at Bendigo and Adelaide Bank. They are one of Australia’s biggest banks, with more than 7,000 employees helping over 1.9 million customers achieve their financial goals. Bendigo’s vision is to be Australia’s bank of choice, and they believe their success is driven by their purpose – to feed into the prosperity of our customers and communities, not off it.
Michaela’s Other Work in Data Analytics
Michaela is dedicated to helping organisations not only survive but thrive in the face of digital disruption by utilising data, AI, and technology through data-driven, technological, and cultural strategies. She has extensive experience in financial services, utilities, and the public sector, having led and built teams to drive three comprehensive organisation-wide transformations.
Prior to her current role at Bendigo, Michaela served as the Senior Manager of Data Governance at RSL Queensland, where she implemented formal data governance. Additionally, she has held several other senior leadership positions, including Senior Manager of Data and Analytics Transformation at AGL Energy, Program Change Manager of Data Transformation at the National Australia Bank, and Manager of Change & Communications at Suncorp Group.
Culture, Teams, and Mindsets
In this exclusive analytics podcast episode, Michaela shares:
- Her triathlon experiences and how it translated into her current work
- Her experience transferring across companies and how it has translated into her current work
- Her current role as the Head of Data Strategy and Engagement at Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
- Common ways businesses have failed to achieve a data-driven culture
- Tricks for getting the technical team to participate in the business side
- Sparking ideas within business leaders regarding advanced analytics
- Bringing together different teams within an organisation
- Building a solution while keeping the business engaged
- Overcoming the ‘all bark and no bite’ of agile
- How to help engineers champion their work and sell themselves
- Borrowing from the mindset of selling first, building later to get leaders more invested
If you are an advanced analytics professional looking to venture into other sides of the business or a leader looking to learn more about the technical side, this is the episode you do not want to miss.
Find out more about Michaela
What is one book that she would gift to her younger self:
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
Learn more with related episodes in our analytics podcast:
- E20 – Adam Mendler – Building a Data-Driven Organisational Culture
- E98 – Antony Ugoni – Getting a Seat at Decision-Making Tables as an Analytics Professional
- E116 – Maria Markman – Personal Branding for Analytics Professionals in a Competitive Market
- E129 – Emmanuel R. Goffi – Creating Ethical & Diverse AI: Insights from a French Air Force Veteran & Global AI Ethics Co-Founder
Now a word from our sponsor…
Register for the ACS QLD State Tech Summit using The Analytics Show’s promo code – ACSTAS – to save $125 off the event tickets: https://www.acs.org.au/cpd-education/event-detail.html?eventId=7010o000002C42l
This episode is sponsored by a new program at DDA Labs. It’s an advanced analytics leader program for senior managers and executives in the business team who want to integrate AI into daily business operations and drive customer experience excellence. Book an Unlimited Strategy Session for a Full Year and start embedding advanced analytics into the business frontlines. For more information about this program, please refer to it here.
Are you using your company data to its full potential? Leading organisations like FAANG have moved beyond dashboards and embedded advanced analytics directly into their daily business operations. Take the free 3-minute Embedded Analytics Assessment to find out your score instantly.