Is blockchain transforming the world of cargo insurance?
And have you ever wondered why traditional cargo insurance doesn’t cover shipping delays and supply chain interruption?
In this episode, we talk to Yann about how his company is using blockchain and predictive analytics to revolutionise cargo insurance.
Discover how this technology can fill the gaps in coverage and improve decision-making for logistics companies.
Meet Yann Barbarroux
Yann’s Role as a Financial Leader at OTONOMI
Yann Barbarroux is the CEO and Co-Founder of OTONOMI, a platform that leverages blockchain technology to provide parametric insurance solutions for cargo. Their innovative approach delivers fast, cost-effective, and transparent digital products with a customer-centric focus. OTONOMI has received multiple accolades for its work, including being selected for the 2022 Lloyds Lab Cohort 8, winning the Plug and Play Winter 2021 Insurtech award, and being named the winner of the 2021 Hartford Insurtech Challenge.
Yann’s Other Work in Finance
Yann Barbarroux has a diverse professional background. Prior to his current position at OTONOMI, he served as the Director and Global Markets Risk Manager at Citi. During his time at Citi, he co-founded the Emerging Markets Digitized Lending Asset D10X Citi Ventures incubator. Yann is also the founder of Accelerate VI, DROP:SHOT, and co-founder of Flyion.
Prior to starting his own businesses, Yann served as Senior VP, Fixed Income Risk Manager at Hapoalim Securities and VP, Market Risk Manager at ING, where he managed risks across various asset classes and markets. Yann is a highly skilled product management professional with a Master of Science degree in Computer Engineering and Information System Management from Telecom ParisTech.
Cargo, Insurance, and Blockchain
In this exclusive analytics podcast episode, Yann shares:
- What inspired him to transition to working in New York after growing up in France
- His first day arriving in New York
- What inspired him to leave Wall Street to start his own company
- How his skill set in market risk still affects his work today
- His current role as the CEO and Co-Founder of OTONOMI
- What’s lacking in the current cargo insurance offering, including data collection
- Why other cargo insurance companies don’t cover shipping delays and supply chain interruption
- Whether telemetric devices can calculate risk for logistics insurance
- Ensuring there is profit to be made in covering certain risks
- Why OTONOMI was built with blockchain
- How this is better than traditional cargo insurance
- Using this data to drive better decision-making
- The importance of real-time visibility in logistics and how predictive analytics is helping enable that visibility
If you are a data analytics professional or a founder looking to use blockchain and data to make better decisions, this is the episode you do not want to miss.
Find out more about Yann
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris
In the News:
Learn more with related episodes in our analytics podcast:
- E128 – Judson Rollins – Driving Revenue Growth in the Air and on the Ground: The Impact of Data Analytics in Cargo and Freight
- E96 – Jacob Parker – The Consumer Data Right to Your Data and Open Banking
- E64 – Tim Spicer – Disrupting the Automotive Insurance Market with Risk-Rated Pricing
- E43 – Jeromie Weatherburn – Data Science in Pricing to Manage Profitable Insurance Portfolios
Now a word from our sponsor…
Register for the ACS QLD State Tech Summit using The Analytics Show’s promo code – ACSTAS – to save $125 off the event ticket.
This episode is sponsored by a new program at DDA Labs. It’s an advanced analytics leader program for senior managers and executives in the business team who want to integrate AI into daily business operations and drive customer experience excellence. Book an Unlimited Strategy Session for a Full Year and start embedding advanced analytics into the business frontlines. For more information about this program, please refer to it here.
Are you using your company data to its full potential? Leading organisations like FAANG have moved beyond dashboards and embedded advanced analytics directly into their daily business operations. Take the free 3-minute Embedded Analytics Assessment to find out your score instantly.